As you are no doubt aware, the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) remains a global crisis. While there have been a limited number of confirmed cases in South Africa, we recognise the uncertainty and concern that the spread of the virus is causing. At Redefine, we are committed to addressing the risk responsibly and as best we can through appropriate communication and action to limit the spread of the virus.
Our stance is to align ourselves with the initiatives implemented by both the South African Government as well as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) to stem the spread of the virus, the cornerstone of which hinges on sensible protection measures, including:
- Wash your hands frequently: Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with an alcohol-based hand sanitiser or soap
- Maintain an appropriate social distance: Keep at least 1 to 2 metres between yourself and people who are coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth: Your hands can transfer viruses from surfaces you may have touched that could be contaminated
- Practice respiratory hygiene: Cover your mouth and nose with a bent elbow or tissue when coughing or sneezing, and immediately discard any tissues used
- Avoid large public gatherings and limit travel: Avoid non-essential travel, especially to areas where the virus is widespread. Consider limiting large public gatherings as this could increase the risk of infection
- Seek medical care: If you or a member of your team feels unwell, please stay at home and seek medical attention for a fever, cough or difficulty breathing. Make sure to call in advance to ensure you visit the right facility and prevent the spread of the virus
- Keep yourself, and those around you, informed: For up to date information, including travel advice and other questions, consult the dedicated WHO and NICD websites.
It is also important to note that these measures are interim in nature and will be updated to align with the recommendations from the relevant authorities.
If you suspect that you or anyone in your premises may have contracted the virus, please immediately make contact with the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) on their National Public Hotline 0800 029 999.
The wellness and safety of our tenants, visitors, shoppers and employees remains a priority. Should we at Redefine become aware of a confirmed case associated with any of our properties, we shall take guidance from the authorities and immediately implement any required protocols.
With immediate effect, we are increasing the frequency of our cleaning and sanitising regimes in all our properties and we strongly recommend that you do the same within your leased premises especially in high volume traffic areas.
At present we continue to operate as normal. Further recommendations will be communicated.
We also advise you to review your health, wellness and leave policies – and to communicate your plans to your employees as soon as possible. While we fully understand the threat posed, we believe that by working together, we can be part of the solution to this crisis.
General management department: Redefine Properties